They are high in protein and fibre, are easily available, and are extremely easy to prepare. Not only that, they increase your satiety and also help you lose weight. We are talking about dals that can also help you lose weight over here!
According to nutritionists, lentils have numerous health benefits and help a lot in increasing your immunity and health. These lentils work as an antioxidant, as well as possess anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. The presence of prebiotic fibre helps in improving digestive function as well as keeps blood sugar levels and heart health in check. If you’re wondering which dals/lentils are best for weight loss, here’s a list of a few high-protein dals/lentils that can help you to lose weight.
Protein-Rich Dals/Lentils To Lose Weight Along With DIY Recipes to Try at Home
Pulses and dals are a part of the daily diet in Indian households. These extremely easy to cook and store lentils are cooked in different ways in different states, and all are equally tasty and healthy. Here are a few dals and pulses you can try including in your daily diet.
- Urad dal, one of the most nutritious pulses, is low in fat and calories and can also help in improving digestion. This dal is a powerhouse of Vitamin B3 and a rich source of protein, which eventually boosts our energy levels, strengthens our nervous system and also enhances our heart health. Even ancient scriptures have stated urad dal benefits Ayurveda recommended. They are full of fibre and protein, it takes a while to digest and offers added satiety. This makes it a good alternative for weight loss.
- To prepare urad dal without oil, wash dal soaked for about 10 minutes in water and pressure cook until 4 whistles. Once it is cooked, add curd, garlic, half a cup of water, green chilli, red chilli powder, salt and turmeric powder and mix well. Now, cook this mixture for 10 minutes and top with coriander.
- The benefits of chana dal for weight loss are unmeasurable. Starting from being a powerhouse of protein and fibre to being a diabetic-friendly alternative for sugar patients, consuming one cup of chana dal can provide you with an ample amount of daily essential nutrients. It not only helps in strengthening hair follicles and preventing hair damage but also regulates blood pressure and boosts metabolism. Trans fats or commonly known as bad fats are the reason for weight gain, but chana dal has 70% good fats which avoid excessive weight gain.
- To prepare a healthy snack from chana dal, grind soaked dal along with water. Further, add garlic, about 1/2 cup of water, green chilli, red chilli powder, salt, and turmeric powder and mix well. Now, heat a non-stick tava pan and start making pancakes from the prepared mixture. Hot, tasty and healthy chana dal pancakes are ready to eat and are highly recommended for diabetes patients too.
- According to a study by ICMR, the glycemic index, when combined with a low-calorie count per serving, is really low. This makes it one of the best alternatives to be included in your weight loss diet plan. It also takes a really long time to be digested and prevents us from resorting to snacks. Adding to that, this dal also contains Niacin and Riboflavin which helps in avoiding the unnecessary storage of fat and also accelerate your carbohydrate metabolism.
- Palak Toor Dal is a dish that not only tastes wonderful but also has dozens of health benefits. Combine toor dal, spinach, green chillies, ginger paste, turmeric powder, salt and water in a pressure cook for 2 minutes. Once it’s cooked, temper it with red chilli powder, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and asafoetida and cook for 4-5 minutes. Super-healthy and tasty palak dal to be included in your daily meal is ready to serve.
- Did you know that you can burn excess fat by using moong dal for weight loss? Well, the protein present in moong aids easy digestion and the dietary fibres also help in boosting metabolism. It is extremely light on the stomach and avoids stomach disorders by improving bowel movement. Being a high-nutrient food, it also enhances skin health.
- To enjoy a quick and easy moong dal soup, add one cup of soaked moong in a pressure cooker, a cup full of chopped onions and a few cloves of garlic, an inch of garlic, regular masalas, salt, black pepper powder, asafoetida and ghee. Add lots of water for a soup-like consistency and pressure cook for 8-10 minutes. Add fresh coriander leaves and lemon juice and serve it steaming hot.
You can also try making this delicious Masala Khichdi
These dals listed above are easy-to-make, can be found easily as well as taste simply wonderful. So, all in all, you can have the best of health along with great taste. But, the other important question that arises is, are these lentils safe to consume? Are they free of chemicals and harmful pesticides? Well, you can’t simply get the answer by looking at the dals. So, at Girveda, all of our packagings has a unique QR code on them. This code, upon scanning, provides the details about the farm they have been grown as well as the lab report of the entire batch. This way, you get to know what you eat and relish these super-tasty and amazing dals. Switch to natural, switch to Girveda!