Right from preparing papad, dosa and mendu vada, urad dal is at the core of a lot many Indian delicacies. A powerhouse of nutrition, vitamins, minerals and carbohydrates, this dal is believed to be highly beneficial for pregnant ladies too. Adding to that, it is also used in various Ayurvedic medicines. But the lesser known fact is that urad dal can be used in various beauty treatments too. It helps in improving blood circulation in the skin leaving it with a radiant glow. Here’s a breakdown of all the reasons why one should include urad dal in their beauty regime and how it can create wonders if used correctly.
Reasons to Include Urad Dal in your Beauty Regime
From working as a skin exfoliator to hair conditioner, here’s a list of benefits of urad dal for the skin.
1. Skin Exfoliator
Our skin when exposed to dirt, pollution and heat can make it dull. Chemical exfoliators can damage the skin cells in the long run. That’s when we can try this age-old technique of using urad dal as an exfoliator. It effectively removes dirt and dead skin cells and cleanses the skin deeply.
2. Helps in Healing Sunburn
With the rising temperature and heat, sunburn is a common problem nowadays. Very few people are aware that it helps in treating sunburn. Urad dal has cooling properties and helps in reducing sunburn.
3. Reduces Acne
Acne is a very common problem nowadays. Urad dal is proven quite effective in cleansing the pores and removing the excess oil. This way it works as an anti-antiseptic for acne.
4. Reduces Skin Spots
Urad dal is believed to have antibacterial properties. Due to it, the skin cells regenerate and the skin spots get reduced. This is one of the most effective remedies to maintain youthful and glowing skin.
5. Used as a DIY Bleach
- Many people are not aware of the fact that urad dal possesses natural bleaching properties. It can help you get rid of dull or uneven skin tone if used at specific intervals. The nutrients present in it help you in maintaining healthy and glowing skin.
6. Improves Hair Texture
- If you’re tired of dull and frizzy hair, urad dal can be your saviour. The minerals and fatty acids in urad dal can give a lustrous and shiny texture to your hair. It also works as a natural conditioner for our hair and provides an added snake too.
Ways to Use Urad Dal for Skin and Hair
1. Urad Dal Face Pack for Exfoliation
To use it as an exfoliator, soak a bowl of urad dal overnight and grind it to a fine paste. Now add some milk or desi ghee and mix it well. Apply this paste to your face for half an hour and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Following this routine thrice a week can help in reducing dead skin cells.
2. Urad Dal Hair Pack
- Take a bowlful of urad dal and grind it to a fine powder. Add some curd to it and form a fine paste. Apply this paste from hair to roots evenly and leave it for a while. Let it settle for about half an hour and rinse it off with a mild shampoo. This pack is applied once a week and can help you get rid of dry and dull hair.
3. Urad Dal DIY Bleach
- In a bowl soak 8-9 almonds and 1/4th cup of urad dal. Grind it to a fine paste in the morning. Now, cleanse your face and apply a thick layer of this paste. Rinse it off with cold water after 20 minutes. This pack will help you enhance your skin’s complexion and provide an added glow.
4. Acne Pack from Urad Dal
- Take a cup full of gram dal and soak it overnight. Grind it to a paste in the morning by adding some rose water, a few drops of almond oil and glycerine. Apply this paste to your face and let it dry for about 20 minutes. After a while rinse it off with cold water and continue using this urad dal face pack on alternative days till the redness disappears.
Packed with nutrition, urad dal is often used as a flour base for a variety of food items. With a milder flavour than the whole urad dal, split urad has a creamier texture. Grown all over the country, urad dal is a much-prized staple of India. This godsend dal also has endless health benefits. As it has both insoluble and soluble fibre, it improves digestion and also protects your heart. It also improves bone health and helps in monitoring diabetes. You can also order this special hero ingredient from Girveda grown using the natural farming method.