A fibrous millet that is healthy, tasty and easy to use, Jowar has gained immense popularity recently. Apart from being used in some famous snacks and recipes in some parts of Gujarat and Maharashtra, Jowar flour is now paving its way in various households because of its high fibre and nutrient content. Researchers and health experts are talking about its benefits and also sharing recipes prepared from it so people can start including it in their daily diet. We did a little research ourselves and came across the benefits of jowar flour that you might not be aware of.
Benefits of Consuming Jowar Flour
Also popularly known as sorghum, jowar has endless health benefits as compared to any other regular flour. From improving eyesight to healing diabetes, here’s how jowar flour can help you.
1. Boon for Diabetic Patients
- Based on a study it is suggested that diabetes patients should include jowar flour in their diet. Jowar grains are a powerhouse of dietary fibre which can help in monitoring blood sugar levels. The fibres and protein present in it offers satiety and prevent spikes in blood sugar levels.
2. Improves Functioning of Brain
- From Thiamin, Vitamin B6 to Niacin, Jowar Flour has all the essential nutrients and minerals required for the proper functioning of the brain. These vitamins work as energy providers for our brains and have endless benefits.
3. Rich in Antioxidants
- Antioxidants can help in preventing inflammation in the body. Jowar being an excellent source of anthocyanins, tannins, phenolic acids and other phytochemicals is a great source of antioxidants. Jowar has 3 to 4 times more antioxidants as compared to other grains and helps in getting protection from various diseases.
4. Helps in Maintaining Gut Health
- Nowadays due to the amount of junk food that we consume people often suffer from bloating, indigestion and other issues of the digestive tracts. This is yet another reason that people have started opting for gluten-free food products. Jowar flour is a gluten-free alternative and can be used in place of your regular wheat flour to get relief from all such issues.
5. Rich in Fibre
- For a healthy gut and healthy body, it is important that you consume food that is rich in fibre and proteins. Jowar flour is well known as a powerhouse of fibres that can help in reducing diabetes, obesity, and other heart diseases. It also tastes amazing and has higher fibre content compared to even rice.
6. Improves Bone Health
- To improve your bone health and strength it is important to maintain your calcium and magnesium intake. Jowar is a rich source of magnesium and can help you in improving your bone strength upon consumption.
7. Improves Eyesight
- Lack of Vitamin A can lead to diseases such as myopia or night blindness. The zinc present in jowar grains can help in easy absorption of Vitamin A in the body and as a result, can improve one’s eyesight. Apart from zinc, jowar also contains other important minerals that can keep your eyes healthy.
Ways to Include Jowar in your Diet
1. Jowar Rotis
- A simple yet effective way is to start consuming jowar rotis instead of your regular wheat rotis. You can also use 50% jowar flour and 50% multi-grains like wheat and ragi and prepare rotis from it.
2. Idlis and Dosas
- Today most health-conscious people have started opting for dosas and idlis made of 50% jowar flour and 50% rice flour. They taste amazing and are extremely healthy.
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and at the same time, it’s important that it is healthy too. Upma made from jowar flour is all you need to kickstart your day in a healthy way.
At Girveda, we want people to consume the safest and healthiest food products out there. That’s why all our flours are processed using age-old methods and grown using just cow-based products. They are completely devoid of chemicals right from when they’re grown to pack and delivered to your doorstep. To achieve our mission to deliver farm fresh products to every doorstep, we follow these zero-budget natural farming methods with the farmers of the Gir-Somnath region. You can also order our chemical-free Jowar flour, Gir Se Ghar Tak!