India is believed to be the originator of sweets across the globe. We have been preparing sweets since 500 BC using jaggery and sugar. Our festivals and celebrations are just incomplete without these delicious mithais. Over the years, traditional sweets have been replaced by fusion recipes prepared using artificial sweeteners. But, undoubtedly, the taste, aroma and flavour of our age-old traditional sweets prepared in desi ghee are unmatchable. So here are some desi ghee recipes to try this Diwali.
Traditional Desi Ghee Recipes
Tired of serving your guests those readily available sweets in the market? Here’s how you can prepare healthy and tasty desi ghee sweets from 100% natural and chemical-free products.
1. Ghee Mysore Paak
- To prepare ghee Mysore paak, take a cup of 100% natural besan flour and start roasting it for about 8-10 minutes on low flame. Once the besan starts turning aromatic, sieve it well so there are no lumps present in it.
- Further, add about half a cup of ghee to it and whisk it well in a way that no lumps are present. In a Kadai, take ¼ cup of water and mix it with 1 cup of sugar. Heat it on medium flame and keep dissolving. You have to keep it boiling till the syrup reaches one-string consistency. Once it is achieved, keep the flame low and add the besan mixture. Mix it all well till the ghee is absorbed.
- Now, on low flame keep adding two spoons of ghee and keep mixing it for about 15 minutes. Transfer the prepared mixture to butter paper and let it cool for about 30 minutes. Cut it in the desired shape and it’s ready to serve. You can also store it for about 2 weeks in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
2. Puran Poli
- Rinse well and soak a bowl of chana da for 30 minutes, to begin with. Now pressure cook the chana dal for about 5-6 whistles and let it cool. Strain the extra water and transfer the cooked chana dal to a bowl.
- In a pan, heat some ghee and add cardamom powder, cinnamon powder, and nutmeg powder, and fry for a few seconds. Now add cooked chana dal and jaggery to it. Keep stirring it on low flame till the mixture turns completely dry. Once the stuffing is cooked, let it cool aside and then mash it with a potato masher.
- To prepare the poli, take some whole wheat flour, multipurpose flour, and salt in a bowl. Knead soft dough by adding some ghee and water and keep it aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Now, prepare some balls from the dough, roll them in small circles and fill the prepared mixture. Now cover it and start rolling again. Prepare such stuffed parathas and fry them on a hot Tawa using ghee. Your delicious and healthy Puran polis are ready to serve.
3. Kaju Katli
- To prepare the all-time favourite Kaju Katlis, grind some cashews into fine powder. Make sure they turn into a fine powder and not a sticky paste. Now on low flame start heating some sugar and water in a pan. Once the sugar dissolves, start adding the cashew powder to it. Now at low flame, keep stirring it till the mixture starts thickening. Keep cooking for about 10 minutes till it turns to a dough-like consistency.
- Take a flat pan or dish and keep some butter paper on it. Empty the cashew mixture on it, add some ghee or oil to it and start rolling using a rolling pin. Continue this process till it is 3 to 5 mm thick. Let it cool. After a while, cut it into pieces and our amazing Kaju katlis are ready.
4. Instant Jalebi
- Who doesn’t love hot piping jalebis? Well here’s how you can prepare them easily and quickly. Take a pan and heat some sugar and water on low flame. Cook it till it turns thick and then add some lemon juice. Mix well and keep it aside on an extremely low flame on a burner.
- Now, in a bowl mix a cup of all-purpose flour, 3 spoonfuls of cornstarch, ghee, yoghurt, a pinch of salt, orange food colour, and water. Prepare a flowing consistency batter by adding water. Now add some eno or fruit salt to it and mix it gently. Add the mixture to a piping bag or sauce bottle and start forming jalebis in ghee or oil. Fry them on a low flame till they turn crispy. Once they are fried, keep them for 2 mins in the prepared sugar syrup. Transfer them to a plate and your instant jalebis are ready!
At Girveda, we are working towards building a healthier and sustainable tomorrow. We also have a range of eco-friendly gifting specials to celebrate all our festivals the natural way. Our farmer friends work relentlessly to grow natural food products using cow-based farming so we can consume healthy products compared to chemical and induced products. Shop for 100% natural products and serve your guests amazingly tasty and healthy sweet recipes.