Role of Ghrita (Ghee) in Ayurveda - The Ultimate Elixir
Ghrita, commonly known as ghee in our routine lives, holds immense importance in Indian culture since 1500 B.C. The benefits of ghee for health are endless. Rigveda contains enumbered references to the importance of ghee in Ayurveda, why to consume it in our daily diet, and how beneficial it is for our health.
Ghrita in simple terms is an Ayurvedic medicine, in the form of herbal cow ghee. Cow’s ghee is a natural source of antioxidants that eliminates free radicals and inhibits the oxidation process. A lot many scriptures have mentioned the cow ghee benefits in Ayurveda. They also recommend consuming ghee in the morning on an empty stomach. As Ghee is a major source of nutrition for each and every cell of the body, it works like rasa and cures multiple diseases.
Making of Medicated Ghee
Ghee, commonly known as clarified butter in Europe is made through an alchemical process. In this method, the butter is cooked until the liquid evaporates and solid sinks to the bottom of the pan.
Medicated ghee is prepared using clarified butter and by inducing some specific herbs in it. The herbs are selected during the preparatory session according to the treatment and cure. At a low temperature, we heat the mixture of clarified butter and herbs. The solid residue after the liquid evaporates is separated and medicated ghee is stored in a sterilized mason or jar.
Benefits of Cow Ghee in Ayurveda
Based on Charak Samhita, which is one the oldest and most reputed classical texts based on medicines, ghee works as a magic potion for enhancing our immunity and overall health.
1. Improving your Digestive Strength
- A person whose digestive strength is a bit low should definitely include ghee in his dietary plan. Pitta and fire have a correlation. The substances that cause depletion of digestion fire help in balancing Pitta. But ghee being an exception, balances the Pitta Dosha and improves the digestive strength.
2. Maintaining Diabetic Levels
- The glycemic acid of any food item is measured based on how quickly it causes our blood sugar levels to rise on consumption. Consuming ghee over other cooking oils can help in managing the sugar levels, by reducing the glycemic acid of the food.
3. For Skin
- Ayurveda recognizes Ghee as a natural moisturizer. It nourishes and moisturizes the body from within. Consuming ghee with milk at night has also exerted noticeable results in improving the glow of the skin.
4. For Hair
- The oil-like consistency of ghee helps in sealing moisture in the hair. The Vitamin E and Vitamin A present in ghee also help to combat toxins and condition the hair. The high amount of antioxidants present in ghee also helps in improving the overall hair strength and helps in reducing hair fall.
5. Balancing the Doshas
- Ayurveda suggests that for people who have an imbalance in doshas such as Vatta and Pitta, ghee can help immensely in balancing them. It also helps in increasing the Kapha dosha.
6. Functioning of Sensory Organs
- The smooth functioning of our five sensory organs – Sight, Smell, Touch, Taste and Hearing are extremely important. Consuming ghee on a daily basis can help in the smooth functioning of these organs.
7. For Newborn Babies
- Ghee is one of the richest sources of Linoleic acid. Also, the natural properties of ghee and the presence of fat-soluble vitamins help babies in fighting the flu, and cold, develop good eyesight and build stronger immunity.
8. For Pregnant Ladies
- According to Charak Samhita, consuming pure desi cow ghee during pregnancy can help in flushing out harmful toxins, strengthen the immune system as well as repair the damaged tissues. Adding to that, it also eases labour pain by working as a lubricant.
Medicated Ghee from the Jungles of Gir
The Medicated Ghee at Girveda is prepared using the highly nutritious A2 milk of naturally pure-bred Gir cows. It has locally-grown herbs and no chemicals, additives, or preservatives. Here are Girveda’s four highly nutritional medicated ghee.
- The king of all Indian natural herbs, Ashwagandha helps calm the nervous system and reduces anxiety and stress levels. Ashwagandha and ghee are both powerful superfoods that externally promote beautiful glowing skin and healthy hair. This centuries-old herb possesses adaptogenic properties. It is well-known for the enhancement of energy levels and vigour. It also helps in boosting the male reproductive system by improving sperm quality and testosterone levels.
- Ayurvedic scriptures considered this blend as a Rasayana and a rejuvenator. Adding to that, it shows anti-tumour, neurodegenerative, and anti-arthritic properties. Hence, consuming it works wonderfully for your immunity.
- Brahmi herb is a brain booster. It enhances memory and concentration and over time it exerts a positive effect on, cognition, learning, and intelligence. Girveda’s this unique ghee is a rejuvenator that rejuvenates the mind, supports brain development in children, and has an anti-oxidant and adaptogenic effect on the central nervous system. Adding to that, it also helps in conditions like dyspepsia, urinary disorders, etc.
- Prepared using 5 Ayurvedic herbs, Panchatikta Ghrita is an ancient form of ghee. This unique Ayurvedic formulation helps in fighting infection, calms the Vata, Pitta, and Kapha, and purifies the blood. Its mystical ingredients have anti-inflammatory, antitoxin, and antipruritic properties that go deep into the tissues. Not only that, it contains the aromatic, medicinal, and dietary herbs of Nimba Twaka, Patolalata, Kantakari, Guduchi, and Vasa.
- The Patolalata herb improves your digestive health, Nimba Twak detoxifies the body, Kantakari fights respiratory tract infections, vasa builds immunity and Guduchi relieves pain and inflammation. Thus, by consuming it you can have the goodness of 5 ayurvedic herbs at once.
- Vasa (Malabar nut) is a well-known and powerful herb used in Ayurvedic recipes. It helps in reducing the symptoms of asthma, bronchitis, and excess mucous condition. Famed as a natural expectorant, it has many curative properties and is the ultimate remedy for cough, cold, respiratory issues, sore throat, and bleeding disorders. Adding to that, it helps in purifying blood, reducing ulcers, and improving respiratory function as well. Also, it promotes gut health and relieves pain and inflammation.
Ghee is classified as Yogavaha in Ayurveda, which means it effectively helps nutrients reach all parts of the body. Countries across the globe have observed the cow ghee benefits and included them in their daily routines. Visit our store and shop for nutritious cow ghee to enjoy its benefits.