One of India’s leading healthcare companies Abbott conducted a Gut Health Survey for constipation and came up with a conclusion that almost 22% of India’s population suffers from constipation. It is believed to be one of the emerging problems Indians are facing. Certain medical experts suggest that this is the result of our dietary changes, irregular sleep habits and excessive consumption of antibiotics. All of this is disturbing our body’s functioning. Even in Ayurveda, there are mentions that how irregularities and dosha imbalance can cause constipation. But at the same time, Ayurveda also has a solution for every such problem. Here’s a detailed Ayurvedic guide that can help you in getting relief from constipation.
Causes for Constipation
One can suffer from constipation due to multiple reasons. Right from lifestyle and dietary changes to certain medical conditions, there can be a lot many causes of constipation. Here are a few of them.
- Consuming low-fibre food or eating a large number of dairy products like milk and cheese can cause constipation.
- If you are physically inactive and are also not keeping yourself hydrated, you might experience constipation.
- Overstressing is yet another reason.
- You should also not resist the urge of bowel movements to avoid constipation.
- Consuming certain medications or drugs like antacids, antidepressants, blood pressure medicines, antihistamines or a few others can adversely affect and cause constipation.
- If you’re suffering from certain neurological disorders or problems with digestive tracts or are expecting a child, you might experience constipation.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Constipation
From irregular food habits and weather conditions to a disturbed and stressful lifestyle, there can be many reasons that can lead to constipation. Here are a few Ayurvedic remedies that can help you with curing constipation.
Undoubtedly one of the most effective and ancient remedies for constipation, Triphala churna pacifies the Vatta dosha. It also has Rechana (mild laxative) properties making it extremely helpful to treat digestive problems. A combination of Amalaki, Bhibhitaki, and Haritaki can be taken in powder or capsule form. This herbal formulation can also be added to your tea.
Also known as Senna, it helps in improving your bowel movements and loosening the stools. Due to its laxative and purgative properties, it helps in the easy excretion of stools and also cleanses the colon. It is also known as Swarnapatri in Sanskrit and has endless medicinal benefits. Due to its antioxidant properties, it also helps in maintaining your blood sugar levels.
Extremely well-known in Vatta and Pitta dominant issues, Trivrut is helpful in treating constipation. The decoction of Trivrut roots eases bowel movements and also helps in the treatment of piles. This Ayurvedic formulation has natural properties to fight constipation. It is also used in Panchkarma treatment Virechana to clean out toxins from the body.
4. Bal Haritaki
Enriched with dietary fibres, Bal Haritaki has laxative properties and improves the digestive system. It also helps in treating constipation. It is also known as the “King of Medicines” as the fruit has enumerated benefits and is used in traditional medicines. Due to its antioxidant, purgative, laxative and anti-bilious properties, it is highly recommended in Ayurvedic scriptures. According to very ancient folklore, it is believed that when a drop of Amrit(nectar) dropped from heaven to earth, this divine tree came to life.
5. Ghee Mixed with Milk
- The book “The Complete Book of Ayurvedic Home Remedies” mentions that consuming a mixture of ghee and milk before bedtime can prove extremely effective. This combination works well in relieving constipation and also balances the Vatta and Pitta imbalances.
6. Fennel Seeds
- Fennel seeds when roasted and taken with a glass of warm water can help you with gut-related issues. They have mild laxative properties and also increase the production of gastric enzymes. The oils in fennel seeds help in relieving constipation.
Girveda’s Ayurvedic Solution for Constipation
At Girveda, our team of expert Ayurvedic doctors and researchers develop unique Ayurvedic formulations from ancient scriptures. We locally grow these Ayurvedic herbs at our farms in a complete chemical-free manner and process them in traditional ways. Flush is one such unique formulation. Made from the extracts of Sonamukhi, Trivrut, Bal Haritaki and Krishna Jiraka, Flush is an Ayurvedic patent and proprietary medicine for constipation issues. The very well-known scripture Charak Samhita also emphasizes the benefits of Bal Haritaki. This potent herb is widely used to get relief from constipation for years. This 100% natural and unique formulation can help ease digestion, smoothening stools, relief from constipation and regulating irregular bowel movements. You can also try this special Ayurvedic powder to get rid of constipation and order it from Gir Se Ghar Tak!